The ICTU has ratified the new public service pay agreement, effective January 1st, 2024, and lasting until June 30th, 2026. This follows resounding votes in favour of the agreement in affiliate unions including SIPTU. This agreement, reached after extensive negotiations, delivers significant benefits for our members.

Key Takeaways:

  • Pay Increases: Public service workers can expect pay improvements worth 9.25% over the agreement period. Additionally, a further 1% is available through local bargaining, bringing the potential total increase to 10.25%.
  • Boost for Lower Earners: The pay structure ensures the greatest benefit goes to those earning below €50,000 annually.
  • Local Bargaining Power: Trade unions can negotiate an additional 3% on top of the base pay increase for specific groups or categories of employees.

Next Steps:

Detailed arrangements for local bargaining will be finalised by 30th June, 2024. Negotiations at the local level will take place between July 2024 and June 2025, with the goal of securing agreements through direct talks. SIPTU is committed to securing the best possible outcomes for our members.

This new pay agreement delivers a well-deserved increase in wages and recognises the vital role public service workers play in Ireland.

Pictured above: SIPTU Deputy General Secretary, John King, overseeing the counting of votes in the Public Sector Pay proposals ballot in Liberty Hall on 21st March. Photograph: Leah Farrell / ©