SIPTU Organiser, Joe Kelly, said: “Management explained that the reason for the impending closure was the loss of a contract to produce electric air heaters for car manufacturer, Tesla, which constitutes 80% of its production capacity at the plant in Tralee. It added that maintaining the remaining 20% of its operations in Tralee was not viable.
“SIPTU representatives sought a commitment from management to source business from other BorgWarner plants across Europe. However, they were informed that current circumstances in other countries made this approach unfeasible.”
He added: “The formal consultation period on redundancy terms will commence next Thursday. Securing the best possible terms for our members and their families is the union’s top priority. The union also intends to engage with local community and political representatives in north Kerry to assess the implications of the closure and the prospects for alternative and decent employment in the region.”
Over 200 workers are employed at the US owned, BorgWarner, plant in Tralee.